The De-identification Process
HOW TO STOP WORRYING AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE
Six Steps to Freedom from Disturbing Thoughts and Feelings
- Sit in a quiet place, close your eyes and begin to relax your
body. (You can use a breathing technique or the second part of
the deep relaxation exercise.)
- Begin to observe your mind and your thoughts, noticing how
certain thoughts keep repeating or carrying your attention into a
pattern of worries or fears.
- Notice that if you put your attention on the pause after one
thought and before the next one, you experience a brief
moment of peace or freedom from the effect of the thought.
- Repeat the mantra, noticing how other thoughts come and go
and you as the master of your mind can choose to put your
attention on the mantra instead of paying attention to the
- Be aware that you are the Knower or observer of your mind and
thoughts and begin to become aware of yourself as the Knower
unmixed with the thoughts.
- Whenever you notice that you have become mixed with a
thought, just gently remind yourself to again repeat the mantra
and be aware of yourself as the Knower.